This Northern Virginia trail stretches 44 miles, from Arlington to the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains and is accessible by Capital Bikeshare! If you're coming from Washington, DC, this ride is easy to access using the Metrorail system.
To enjoy part of the W&OD trail in Arlington, VA:
- Grab a bike at the East Falls Church Metro/Sycamore St & 19th St N station
- Enter the park at N Sycamore St & 19th St N
- Cross the bridge over Four Mile Run and take a left onto the W&OD Trail
- Take another left to stay on the trail
- Follow the trail for about 5 miles and take in the sights, as you pass parks, playgrounds and historical markers
- Dock your bike at the S Four Mile Run Dr & S Shirlington Rd station to explore Shirlington on foot
This section of the trail is approximately five miles and should take you around 35 minutes to complete at a leisurely pace. If you'd like more time to take in the sights, you can dock your bike at the Columbia Pike & S Dinwiddie St / Arlington Mill Community Center station.
Local Tip: There are a lot of users on this trail at all times of day. Ride respectfully, pass on the left and make good use of that bell!
By DwayneP (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], via Wikimedia Commons